Fulham 1-0 Millwall - 25-Nov-2017 : Match Report

25 November 2017
Oliver Norwood nets winner from penalty spot as Fulham edge Millwall

Oliver Norwood's penalty secured a long-awaited home win for Fulham as they beat Millwall 1-0.

The Northern Ireland midfielder's fourth goal of the season earned Slavisa Jokanovic's side only a second victory at Craven Cottage this season, and a first since September.

Norwood's 45th-minute spot-kick also consigned Millwall to a sixth match without a victory, and they have yet to win away so far this term.

Yet the visitors had plenty of chances against an unconvincing Fulham defence and twice hit the woodwork.

Tom Elliott should have given the Lions a first-half lead, but he clipped a post with a free header after just seven minutes.

The striker was left all alone again in front of goal shortly after, but this he time glanced George Saville's cross horribly off target.

Shane Ferguson fizzed a shot across goal and wide with Fulham's rearguard again looking distinctly jittery.

The hosts were bright in attack, though, and Sheyi Ojo's chip from the corner of the penalty area had to be tipped over by Lions keeper Jordan Archer.

Liverpool loanee Ojo, who scored twice in the 5-4 win at Sheffield United in midweek, blasted another chance over before Neeskens Kebano burst through on goal.

The Congolese winger latched onto Tom Cairney's through-ball and was only denied by a last-ditch challenge from Conor McLaughlin.

Kebano wriggled clear again from Stefan Johansen's ball over the top but this time Archer came charging out to block.

The deadlock was finally broken on the stroke of half-time when McLaughlin tugged back Portuguese striker Rui Fonte at a corner.

Referee Paul Tierney pointed awarded a penalty and Norwood confidently slammed home the spot-kick.

After the break Elliott was denied from close range by home keeper David Button.

Lions captain Steve Morison has yet to find the net this season but the striker went close with a first-time lob which drifted the wrong side of Button's post.

Saville then went even closer when his shot beat Button in a crowded penalty area only to come back off the post to cap a frustrating afternoon for the Lions.

Source: PA