Fulham 1 - 1 Boavista

Last updated : 15 August 2006 By

Queudrue, making his first appearance since his transfer from Middlesbrough, was involved in an early move which ended with Collins John firing wide.

He then forced a fine save from the keeper with a low drive before Helguson converted Jimmy Bullard's cross.

Fulham could not convert again though and Faye Fary levelled late on.

BBC Sport

Fulham ended their pre-season preparations with a one-all draw against Portuguese side Boavista. Heidar Helguson opened the scoring for Fulham but, following a bout of mass substitutions, the visitors equalised through Fary.

Fulham's first opportunity of the game came in the fifth minute following a sweeping move that started on the left flank. Franck Queudrue, making his first appearance in a White shirt at Craven Cottage, drifted a cross-field pass to fellow fullback, Liam Rosenior. The ball was promptly shunted into the path of Michael Brown who cut a pass inside to Collins John. The Dutch striker's attempted curler flew narrowly wide of William Andem's left hand post.

Queudrue then warmed the hands of Andem on 10 minutes when he shaped as if to cross but instead lashed a low drive goalwards. Andem was forced to save at his feet.

Fulham opened the scoring on 14 minutes through Heidar Helguson. Having won a free kick in a dangerous position, Jimmy Bullard whipped in a teasing cross which Helguson diverted into the net from six yards.

The Whites were certainly looking much the stronger outfit, to the extent that Boavista's first attempt on goal came in the 18th minute when Kazmierczak forced a good reflex save from Niemi. The visitors followed that chance with a well taken corner which had the Fulham defence at sixes and sevens - eventually a goal line clearance resolved the situation.

Indeed Niemi was far busier off the pitch. Just moments later a ball boy took an unfortunate tumble in the Hammersmith Stand and was helped back to his feet by the Finnish stopper - much to the crowd's amusement..

As the first half progressed the visitors started to show signs of life going forward. In terms of possession, they were certainly making inroads into Fulham's substantial advantage. Their main threat was coming from crosses and set pieces, and such a tactic almost paid dividends in the 27th minute when a corner was headed towards goal and the lurking Roland Linz flicked the ball just wide from three yards.

Luis Boa Morte's spectacular left footed volley from the angle of the penalty area almost doubled the Whites' advantage. Unfortunately, Andem sprang to his left and plucked the ball out of the air.

Boavista started the second half with a bang and certainly gave half time substitute Mark Crossley something to think about when Ricardo Sousa's shot bounced back off the crossbar with only a minute of the second period gone.

Bjorn Runstrom, on as a half time substitute, came close to opening his Fulham account just before the hour mark when he latched on to a positive run from McBride. His shot brought a good save from the Boavista 'keeper but, mysteriously, the referee awarded a free kick.

A spate of substitutions midway through the second half halted the natural flow of the game as both sides used the full depth of their squads.

Boavista got back on level terms in the 79th minute when Zakuani was bundled off the ball in a dangerous position by Linz, his subsequent shot was well saved by Crossley. However, Faye Fary was on hand to side foot the rebound into an unguarded net.

The moment of the came from Moritz Volz in the 87th minute. The German fullback had been threatening the opposition with his dangerous runs down the right, and he almost gave the Whites a winning goal following an impressive 50-yard sprint down the right flank. But his left footed shot flew just over the bar.

Fulham: Niemi (Crossley HT); Rosenior (Volz 55) , Pearce (Bocanegra HT), Christanval (Knight 61), Queudrue (Zakuani 75); Bullard (Timlin 66), Brown (C Jensen 61), Diop (Elrich 61), Boa Morte (N Jensen75); Helguson (McBride 61), John (Runstrom 61)