Fulham 2-0 Barnsley- Match Report

Fulham end Barnsley's recent impressive run with Sky Bet Championship success

Fulham ended the recent good run of form by Barnsley, running out comfortable 2-0 winners in the Sky Bet Championship match at Craven Cottage.

Chris Martin opened the scoring from the penalty spot just before half-time, before Scott Malone doubled the lead 10 minutes into the second half, as the Tykes - who had won five of their previous seven league matches - left south-west London empty-handed.

Fulham started off at a furious pace, and Tom Cairney aimed his fourth minute effort straight at goalkeeper Adam Davies.

Slavisa Jokanovic welcomed back Martin to his line-up - after recent questions about the on-loan Derby player's future at the club - and he drove straight at goalkeeper Adam Davies

Barnsley - minus departed striker Sam Winnall - settled into the game after the frantic start, although the hosts let another chance slip in the 26th minute when Sone Aluko fired his effort from the edge of the box over the bar

Lucas Piazon was the next to find his accuracy missing, misfiring over on the half-hour, after a Cairney lay-off

Barnsley offered few chances, although Adam Hammill nearly stunned the home crowd eight minutes before the break when his shot hit the crossbar

The effort appeared to rejuvenate the visitors, as Tom Bradshaw headed a Conor Hourihane free-kick just wide a minute later

However, Fulham finally broke the deadlock just before the break, when Martin converted a penalty after Kevin McDonald was fouled by Angus MacDonald.

Although the awarding of the spot-kick by referee Andy Davies may have been considered soft, it was in truth no more than the home side deserved.

The lead was doubled 10 minutes after the restart

Aluko laid the ball off to Martin, who delivered a cross into the box for Malone to volley with his left foot past Adam Davies

Fulham became even stronger, and on the hour mark Aluko had a shot through a crowded penalty area saved after he combined well with Ryan Fredericks.

Stefan Johansen narrowly failed to add to his FA Cup goal against Cardiff with a curled effort on 66 minutes that went just wide of the post.

Martin was again foiled by Adam Davies six minutes later, after picking up a cross by Johansen, before Piazon saw an effort blocked on the line soon afterwards.

The Cottagers continued to dominate, and a solo run 11 minutes from time by Cairney was matched by an equally impressive save by Adam Davies.

Source : PA

Source: PA