Hull City 2 Fulham 0

Last updated : 27 March 2010 By Footymad Previewer
Hull City took a big step towards Premier League survival as they picked up their first victory in five matches against an under-strength Fulham side, winning 2-0 at the KC Stadium

Jimmy Bullard sent the Tigers into the lead on 16 minutes with an emphatic penalty, then a Craig Fagan header just after the break ensured Ian Dowie of his first win as Hull's temporary football management consultant.

Zoltan Gera came close for the visitors early on as Clint Dempsey found the Hungary international in space on the edge of the box, but his low right-footed shot was well parried away by keeper Boaz Myhill.

Hull were then awarded a penalty with just quarter of an hour gone as Chris Smalling was adjudged to of brought down Jozy Altidore inside the box.

Ex-Fulham man Bullard took the resulting spot-kick and sent the ball into the top right corner of the net to register his fifth goal of the season.

Fulham came close to an equaliser midway through the half as a corner from Bjorn Riise found its way into the feet of Gera, whose first-time strike from close range beat Myhill but not George Boateng on the goal-line, who was able to clear the ball to safety.

Bullard nearly had his Hull side two nil up moments later but his curling free-kick from 20 yards was well turned round the post by Schwarzer.

Dean Marney came close from the following corner, but his first-time strike was again well saved by Schwarzer.

Gera then had another chance cleared off the line for Fulham as his shot from close-range again beat Myhill, but not Hull defender Steven Mouyokolo who did well to race back and clear the danger.

Hull were 2-0 up within minutes of the re-start as a cross from Dean Marney found the head of Fagan whose looping effort across goal saw the ball dip over the head of Schwarzer and into the back of the net.

Substitute Stefano Okaka had a chance for Fulham on the hour mark, but his tame right-footed shot was easily saved by Myhill.